Probably the most important day for America (and the rest of the world) since Obama was elected in to his presidency 4 years ago and I don't get a say in it. That said, it's important to me non-the-less and as you can see I saw it as a great opportunity to start my blog. Obviously, I guess I'm just going to litter this page with my own personal opinions until I can get in to the swing of actually having something interesting to write about. Before getting to the matter which seems to be blowing up every news channel and social network in the world I should probably take the time to mention yesterday as being the fifth day of November a.k.a Bonfire night. The thought of trekking several miles all the way to a park only to be greeted by hundreds of people that you dont know nor particularly like (to be fair thats probably just me) in the November cold just to see a burning pile of wood and some colourful explosions in the sky might less appealing than scraping your eyes with the back of spoon but damn I had a good time. For once it didn't absolutely piss it down, nor did any small children grab my leg mistaking me for their parents. Sure they played shit, clichéd music (Whats thats song by Katy Perry about Fireworks? OH YEAH) and sure Leeds youths aren't great advocates for the english language but everyone seemed to be out to have a good time and no ruin any one else's. Thats good old community spirit. Of course like all things, the experience had to be obligatorily dampened by our nations trusty old transport service. I mean why do we have bus timetables? They come when they feel like it anyway. That in turn meant me and dad had to make a good old father-son (ha) trip to the bus station where I would end up losing a pound to someone who 'needed the money to get back' and have a good old discussion (ha) with the old man on the way home. That said, I felt full effect of this this morning and the more I think about it, the less staying up until 3am to find out the results of this election seems to be a good idea. It's great how that happens in Sixth Form will ever feature in this blog as nothing noteworthy ever seems to happen unless its timing the longest you can pitch an excuse to a teacher before he/she (it was definitely a he) stops caring. My record stands at 5 seconds and I know now to rehearse my excuses to be short, simple and often provocative provided said teacher has a sense of humour (he thinks he does). Something else to note if Elvis was a professional do-anything-but-what-I'm-meant-to he would find that the title of 'King' for said vocation would be occupied by me and my ability to have sculpted a head from blu-tac during the course of todays Art lesson...
![]() |
| Pfft... and I could have actually WORKED in the 10 minutes it took to do this... |
That brings me right round to the events of NOW. It is exactly midnight and we should be expecting the early results from some pretty key states in the next hour or so. I've heard that we'll be pretty certain of a winner by about 3am so I'll be sure to keep updating posts as and when I find something of interest to tweet about. For now, I'm hoping Obama wins. Not for all the reasons most of the people in the UK see though. Republicans in this country are seen as incredibly backward and in many aspects they are but people don't understand that things in the states are so different to what they are here. We wouldn't know patriotism or self-sufficiency or independence if it grew a dick and slapped us in the face. Those are ideals that many Americans still hold close as those were the foundations on which the country was built. Something the Republicans promise to bring back to the US. As a libertarian, the democratic view is right up my street. We're always looking to the future and seeing how we can make the world a better place NOW. That said, you can understand why someone who considers their country's history to be just as important as its future many confide in the more conservative opinion and why many people have and WILL vote Republican. I also find that thats probably a generalisation and everyone will have their own reasons regardless and that politics are a feeble thing to judge anyone over. Logically though I find it almost worrying that this is going to be so close but at the same time, I feel that either way, no matter who wins, no one is going to make it easy for anybody...

No comments:
Post a Comment